09/03/2017

Opera night

Again, this has been an idea of my amazing friends and fellow Italian Erasmus students. They are all super passionate about theatre in general, and opera in particular; but for us poor students, in our home country is not that easy to get to see such performances, since tickets are almost more expensive than a law book - and I can assure you that's a lot. So when they found out in Riga tickets are sold at only 6 euros each, well... they bought places for the entire season! And yesterday they invited me and my German flatmate, Christine, to see the ballet "Anna Karenina" by Tchaikovsky (I admit I had to look up the exact spelling of his name... Russian lessons are having no effect on me yet).
Opera ticket
I also got a ticket holder. 
Short premise: I have no experience of ballet, nor of national opera houses frequented by fancy people of all ages.
Latvian National Opera House
Latvijas Nacionālā Opera by day.
Nevertheless, I found myself enjoying the night! I can't say ballet is my favourite kind of entertainment - I'm definitely for modern plays - but I loved the location (velvet everywhere), the dresses of the dancers (the effect of silver dresses under the spotlights was beyond description), the scenography.
The only aspect I didn't appreciate? The ending. Russian novels are totally not my thing.

If you ever have the chance, go and spend some of your money in a theatre! I can assure you it's worth it, if only to enjoy the feeling of being in another century. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe

Get All The Latest Updates Delivered Straight Into Your Inbox For Free!

Labels

Instagram